Town Council of Wagrowiec, Poland
• Greater Poland, Voivodesi
• Territory: 18, 0 km2
• Inhabitants: 24. 815
• Postal code:62-100-/62-102
• Phone number: +48-67
• Number plate: PWA
• Type of settlement: town
• Mayor: Krzysztof Poswa
• Address:ul.Kosciuszki 15a, 62-100 Wagrowiec
• Webpage: www.wagrowiec.eu
Wagrowiec is located approx. 50 km from the city of Poznan and approx. 70 km from the town Bydgodzcz.
The settlement got the municipial law for the first time in 1381.
1396 Cistercian monks were settled here from Lekno to Wagrowiecz Monastery. 1427 Wladyslaw II. donated the municipial right to the settlement according to the Magdeburg law. The economic life of the town flourished in the 15-16. century. Breweries, furriers, shoemakers, potters, weavers and other craftsmen settled in the city. In the following centuries the development of the town began to decline.
The Swedes occupied the city between 1655- 1656, 34 people were executed in the city on charges of black magic between 1693-1741. Plague devastated between 1709-1710. In 1746 a fire broke out near the city hall and another 30 houses were burned down. A year later the monastery and the church were destroyed by fire as well.
At the second division of Poland in 1793 the town became part of Prussia. 612 people lived in timber houses. The church was rebuilt in 1799. 1807 the city became part of the Grand Duchy of Warsaw, but in 1815 it was again part of Prussia, and in 1818 it became the seat of Wogrowitz district.
The economic life of the city flourished again in the 18th century, although the town has experienced a number of Polish revolts against the Prussians.
In 1881 the city was connected to the rail network, so they had a direct rail link to Rogozno and Inowrazlaw. The city opened its first high school in May 1872 and during the coming years many new buildings were built in Romanesque style.
After World War I the town was returned to the re-established Poland. The economic development of the town was poor during and after the war.
At the beginning on 2 September of WW II German bombers attacked the settlement and destroyed the railway station, the school, the town hall and other buildings.
The Wehrmacht reached the city on September 6. The settlement was named Eichenbrück by the invaders and got a new coat of arms during the German occupation period.
January 25 1945 the Red Army reached the city and brought an end to the German occupation. During World War II the third of the pre-war population including most Jews were deported and killed, and the local population has suffered immeasurable loss.
Another third of the population, mostly Germans fled the city shortly after and before the end of the war.
After the Polish campaign and the German Empire reannexation a camp was built for the imperial forced laborers.
Cistercians in Leknó and Wagrowiec
In the 12th century Lekno monastery was founded in the mountains as a subsidiary institution of the Altenberg Monastery. One of the first abbots Chris of Lekno became in 1209 missionary bishop of the Prussians, who started missionary in 1206 and Chris had had his headquarters since 1215 in Olvia.
The Lekno monastery moved to Wagrowiecz between 1380 and 1396. Until the secularization in 1835 that was the most important institution in the city.
• Gyula-Hungary (2002)
• Le Plessis Trevise-France
Culture & Points of Interest
• Parish church
• Franciszek Lakinski Crypt (cavalry captain)
• Museum of the Local History
• Jakub Wujek (1541-1597), Priest, philosopher, Polish translator of the Bible
• Max Gerson (1881-1959), Physician, inventor of the controversal Gerson diet
• Karl Eduard Arnd (1802-1874), historian
• Erhard Wittek (1898-1981) novelist
• Adolf Kowallek (1852-1902), Director of garden in Cologne
• Adam of Wagrowiec (meghalt 1629) organist, composer
5700 +36-66-526-826 email@example.com